Thursday, November 30, 2006

Puppet on a string






After a while you learn
the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn
that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean security.
And you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises
and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up
and your eyes ahead
with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
and you learn
to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is
too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight .
After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns if you get too much
so you plant a garden and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers .
And you learn that you really can endure
you really are strong
you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn
with every goodbye, you learn...


--Veronica A. Shoffstall



I found this poem on another website and could not help but think how this could be written about me.

I began to learn that his uncommitted involvement with me was chaining my soul and not the loving act of 'holding hands'.

I began to learn that his love was without meaning and that his company was on his terms.

I began to learn that I was his habit and I accepted that I was not his pleasure.

When he told me he was still in love with her, I conceded defeat and started to make plans for myself, plans that did not include him.

I began to travel the path of today not knowing where tomorrow was going to take me.

Everytime he walked away I held my head a little higher.

And with every goodbye I travelled that path a little further.

I learned that he did not want me. I learned that he is capable of betraying me. I learned that he was so willing to tell the most amazing lies about me and to me.

I learned he held no respect for me and repeatedly took me for granted.

I learned that I have too much self respect to stay in a relationship where I am used. I learned that I am worthy of unconditional love. I learned that I deserve to be loved unconditionally and without the fear of having my lover, my best friend, my soul mate, stray when things become rocky between us.

I learned to be strong again, to stand on my own two feet, to not allow myself to be where he wanted me to be. I learned not to be a puppet on a string.

I learned that I can travel the path alone. I learned that I do not need the love of someone that is so willing to push me aside when it suits his purpose. I learned that he expected me to be his option, whilst he remained my priority.

I wonder if I have learned too much?

17 Comments:

Blogger S* said...

YES!YES!YES! That's the spirit! No, you have not learned too much. You have learned what you NEEDED to learn. And you'll still learn a lot more.

That poem is wonderful. I'm definitely going to save it somewhere.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:20:00 am  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

knowledge is power sweetie, you haven't learned too much!

I'm sorry you are feeling so down, I'm sending cyber hugs to you!

((((HUGS)))

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:08:00 am  
Blogger Limerick Gal said...

What a wonderful poem!! I'm saving that!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I learn the I realise how little I know.. You are woman, you can roar, we are deserving of the love our father shows our mother ( in my case anyway ) we deserve to be someone princess and in return they will forever be our prince..
You deserve all of this too Kate

Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:23:00 am  
Blogger KBear said...

Momma D is right. knowledge is power.

You learning this, is one more step towards healing...

i wish you all the best, and my prayers are with you.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:32:00 am  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Thanks guys for your comments.

I am just starting to wonder if I have learned too much for this marriage to work. Can I undo the things I have learned and accept that my husband betrayed me?

Do I want to unlearn the things I have learned? At the moment I do not know, but I am not rushing myself.

I am feeling better at the moment. Having a day at the beauticians with my angel friend today so real;ly looking forward to that!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:48:00 am  
Blogger mt_detroit said...

You don't have to "unlearn" in order to love him.

But you do have to learn to trust him again. That won't be easy. I do not know if he deserves to be trusted again. Only he and you know that.

But you have learned that you are capable of living without him if need be. You know you can be happy again on your own.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have learnt many things. I guess all I can do is keep trying to prove to my girl how much I do love her and that I will never hurt her again.

I'm working hard and hoping. I cherish every day I have with my Kate. Every day is a gift.

Love you Kate.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Uncommitted involvement" that is PERFECT. You described that so very well.
You are strong, you just need to accept your strength.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:38:00 pm  
Blogger Amy said...

Kate, please email me. babbles270atgmaildotcom

I'm going through being "the other woman" and I think that we might be able to help each other.

Or at least I'm hoping so.

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:56:00 am  
Blogger Karin's Korner said...

Girlfriend, I hope you are getting the help that you need. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:58:00 am  
Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Whew. Anyone who has been through this experience could gain great strength and wisdom from this post.
One of my favorite *quotes* is "you're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" ... now of course this comes from the wise sage Christopher Robin in a Winnie the Pooh movie - but dang, isn't it the truth?

Friday, December 01, 2006 6:21:00 pm  
Blogger Sheets said...

Wow. Sorry you are going through such crap.

Friday, December 01, 2006 10:42:00 pm  
Blogger Elaine Denning said...

I've just read through all your archives.. I wanted to, before I commented.

I've been where you are now...my first husband was having an affair before we reached our first anniversary. I thought long and hard about what I wanted and eventually came to the conclusion I still wanted to be with him. Six months later I threw in the towel and walked away. The trust, for me, had gone, but there was a lot more to it than that.
I still desired him, (physically), when I looked at him, and as a woman I still had sexual urges. But I couldn't allow myself to be intimate with him. Even though I wanted to make the marriage work and he was trying so hard to be the man I wanted, it was almost as if I really wanted to punish him for what he'd done. Had I allowed him to make love to me, it would have been like admitting I'd forgiven him, and I hadn't.
There was also a part of me that didn't want him to know that I still wanted him. That sounds crazy, I know.

It's an awful situation to be in. All you know for sure is that you can't undo what he's done, and that you either have to live with it or walk away.

I wish you all the luck in the world, whatever you decide.

Saturday, December 02, 2006 2:26:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate!
WOW. I think that things will become more clear as time goes on. There is no rush for you to decide today. I do agree that if you choose to forgive him that you have to do so 110%, but it is almost super human.
I too am going through this very issue and it tears at your senses and at your heart. I often ask myself if AK were to die tomorrow how would I feel?? Like I wasted time over stupid mistakes, or that I made the right choice?? Do I love him more than the pain...am I able to see past actions to his heart?? I try to cherish every moment because you just never know.
I too am riddled with thoughts and words and sights that haunt me. I hope you find a way to move past those.
Whatever the outcome something will take place and then you will deal with it using your new found strength!!
Side note:**So sorry I have not been here for you.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 4:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that the line that brought so much clarity to me has also helped you as well as others that I have met blogging. THAT is what this is all about.
*HUG*

NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION!!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 4:45:00 am  
Blogger kissmekate said...

s* I probably have leared what I needed to learn and I am sure I will learn alot more yet.

D - if knwledge is power then I am one hell of a strong and powerful woman. Look out Bush!

mt - you are probably right when you say I don't have to unlearn what I have learned. You have got it though - I have learned I can live without him.

zoely - welcome to my world and thanks for stopping by. You might like to read all my archive blogs to get the total picture.


amy - I have emailed you.

karin - thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I am amzed at how much strength I get from my fellow blogger buddies!

frannie - I like that quote. I will have to try and remember that one too.

sheets and miss understood - welcome! Interesting comment Miss. Intimacy is not always an issue in our relationship. And he knows that he is not forgiven just because we are intimate.

Thanks for that line Mac. It is such a bloody good quote that I think I have made it my motto in life.

Never mind not being here for me......I am greatly relieved to hear from you girl! I've been worried sick about you.

Glad you are back in blogland and hope you are doing OK.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 9:53:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home