Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Christmas present from hell

I received a DVD for Christmas from my sister. She lives over 8 hours away so it was sent through the post for me to unwrap on Christmas Day. Nothing unusual about buying a DVD as a present. Only this one was the DVD from hell.

My sister had made a DVD for me of my wedding.

She called me Christmas night. I thanked her for her gift. She asked me if I had watched it and at that stage I hadn't. Truth be told, I didn't want to watch it. She has no idea of the current status of my marriage as it is something I have chosen not to share with her.

But yesterday after lunch, my little girl excitedly wanted to sit down and watch it with me. Charlie and I sat down with our children to watch the DVD of our wedding day.

My stomach was tight and my head was spinning. As I sat there in silence, the tears began to well in my eyes. There was a continuous stream of tears running down my face.

She had included the 'behind the scenes' stuff like the morning at the hairdressers and us girls getting ready, right through to the reception. And the background music she used was the songs from our wedding CD that we gave to every one of guests.

I was not at all nervous. I was so excited and lost for words. There was a smile on my face for the entire day.

There was my message to Charlie, telling him how much I loved him and how I could not wait to be Mrs Jones. There were messages from my close friends wishing us a lifetime of love and happiness. There was laughter and there were tears.

The DVD then showed us saying our vows. At the point the celebrant said "Marriage according to law in Australia is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all other, voluntarily entered into for life", I could not take anymore.

I ran from the room. Charlie followed me.

And as I once again had my head over the toilet, violently throwing up, he gently rubbed my back.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time will heal Kate and the tears will stop, it's still very early days and maybe you guys are expecting too much too soon from yourselves. Just get through everyday and lets see what 2007 brings. Hang in till the fat lady sings :-)

Monday, January 01, 2007 10:48:00 am  
Blogger Determined said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, January 01, 2007 2:44:00 pm  
Blogger Determined said...

hey, Kate! I hope you're feeling better...

I don't think that the DVD gift is from hell. You should treasure all the good moments from your marriage with Charlie.

Kate, may 2007 bring us better things!!

Monday, January 01, 2007 3:01:00 pm  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

You are pregnant.??

Monday, January 01, 2007 6:28:00 pm  
Blogger Leigh said...

Kate again I am left speechless wishing I had those perfect words to make everything better for you. I hope you have a great 2007, with tons of love, happiness and laughter. You really do deserve at least that.

Hang in there!!!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 3:43:00 am  
Blogger S* said...

Yeah, what Manic Mom said. Are you trying to tell us something?

The pain and hurt will pass. It's just up to you whether you can handle it or not.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:04:00 am  
Blogger kissmekate said...

Hey guys,

No I am not pregnant although I must say Charlie continues to talk about the prospect of us sharing the joy of another child.

I am simply not going down that path, although as I have stated before it would be a wonderful distraction.

I was merely throwing up because of the shattered vows and promises that I relived by watching my wedding day.

Solarisgal I guess you are right in that there were MANY really good times throughout our marriage.

And there still is a lot of good with Charlie learning so much about himself and me and also us.

I guess at the moment my pain and hurt overshadows everything that could be looked at as good.

Friday, January 05, 2007 2:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home