Friday, December 22, 2006

A welcome distraction

I remember our discussions about having children. You were scared. You didn’t want any children. I still remember the look in your eyes and the way you looked at me when you said “Will you still love me?”

The simple act of sex when trying to conceive a child takes on a whole new meaning. It becomes precious and meaningful and I remember making love to you became even more special.

The memories of when we were trying to conceive our children are still vivid, as if it was only yesterday. The daily ritual of charts and thermometers, documenting ovulation days and every time we made love are forever etched in my memory.

I remember how excited you were when my period was due and how you would race to the supermarket to buy me a pregnancy test, sometimes even before my period was due!

And I can still remember the absolute joy that you expressed when I told you that we were expecting a little person of our own, a creation of both you and I, something that was unique to us and only us.

We had created a new life, a little person that we would love until our dying day. A little person that we would hold dreams for, that we would teach right from wrong, that we would love unconditionally.

I remember you rubbing my back whilst I had my head in the toilet throwing up everyday. I remember you tenderly wiping my face, lathered in sweat from the constant morning sickness that lasted all day, everyday, for what seemed to be an eternity.

I remember you consoling me when I believed we had once again lost the child we had created through miscarriage. I can remember you tenderly and lovingly telling me that it would be OK and that we would just try again.

I remember laying in bed with your beautiful soft hands on my growing tummy, eagerly waiting to feel the first flutters of our growing child’s arms and legs. And as my tummy swelled with our precious child, I can remember you talking passionately to my ‘bump’, sweetly singing to my belly and telling our unborn child how much you loved them and could not wait for them to arrive.

I remember the many discussions we had trying to choose a name for our baby. I remember the many times we discussed the dreams we held for our child. I remember the anticipation and excitement as we drew closer to meeting our precious child.

I can still remember your soft hands rubbing my back with every contraction. And as the hours dragged on and your tiredness became increasingly obvious, your immense support overshadowed everything else.

And as our precious first born made her way into the world I can remember the tears falling down your cheeks. I can still remember you looking at me with adoring eyes, holding me so close and telling me how much you loved me.

I can remember you holding our beautiful daughter in your arms, tenderly looking down into her perfect little face, and you telling her how much you loved her already and that you were going to be the best daddy.

And you have been a wonderful daddy!

And so recently when you suggested that we get pregnant again all of these wonderful memories came flooding back. I would welcome the closeness that we experienced, the immense love, the excited anticipation. It would be such a welcome distraction to the pain and heartache that I currently feel everyday.

But there is no way I would do it. I could not conceive a child in the current circumstances. It would be a band aid solution. It would be a lie.

A child should be conceived in a stable environment, to parents that are in love with each other, that hold the same dreams, travelling the same path and going in the same direction.

Right now I don’t believe we are on the same path. As much as I crave to feel the closeness and happiness that I once felt from ‘us’, I know this is not the way to achieve it.

Although, for the first time in my life, I understand why couples have a child to hold a marriage together or a 'make-up' baby after an affair.

Maybe one day we will share the joy of another child.

Maybe.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I can't begin to tell you "online" how close this post hits home for me .. maybe some day "offline" .. maybe!
Your thinking is right though, know that.
Blessings and prayers to you!
Frannie

Friday, December 22, 2006 5:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter what, You are both wonderfuly blessed :-)

Friday, December 22, 2006 6:33:00 pm  
Blogger Emily said...

What a beautiful post.

This is such a painful time. It must seem endless.

Anyway, I think you need a distraction so you have been tagged:

1. Grab the book closest to you, don't choose
2. Open to page 123, go down to the fifth sentence.
3. Post the text of the next three sentences on the blog.
4. Name the book and the author.
5. Tag three people

Friday, December 22, 2006 9:14:00 pm  
Blogger Emily said...

Just stopped by to wish you and yours a happy christmas - and a better year next year

love

Emily xox

Saturday, December 23, 2006 12:08:00 pm  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

You're so right about it being a band-aid solution. But it is beautiful to see that you are seeing the good in your husband again.

Sunday, December 24, 2006 8:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your Christmas was full of love Kate and boxing day a fun family day for you all. I walked to a g/f's place and it was great seeing all the families out on the street getting a few runs in during the break ( cricket )Hearing the girls chatter in the yard while the men and kids pretend their warney LOL

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:03:00 am  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

Hi Kate, I just stopped by to see how your Christmas turned out. I hope it was peaceful and wonderful and full of all good things!

Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:55:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home